8 November 2011
Music Volunteers Wanted
Drake Music Scotland is currently recruiting for volunteers to support its innovative in-house programme of music activities, musicSPACE, and in particular the delivery of individual sessions on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons. This opportunity is available in the first instance for the spring 2012 term. Deadline for applying: Monday 21st November, 5 pm.
musicSPACE is Drake Music Scotland’s programme of in-house music activities which take place in the organisation’s state of the art and fully accessible music studio, working with adults and children with a wide range of disabilities. Specific projects and activities include band rehearsals, collaborative projects with community groups, and an accredited course with Jewel & Esk College and individual sessions.
We are seeking a maximum of 3 Edinburgh-based volunteers to help support the individual sessions, which runs in 3 blocks of 10 weeks over the year. A Drake Music Scotland Associate Musician leads each block of one-to-one sessions.
- To meet and greet participants at reception and bring them to the studio. This may involve holding doors open for participants who use a wheelchair.
- To pass on any necessary paperwork such as invoices, publicity permission forms, registration forms etc.
- To be ‘on hand’ to support the Musician during the session and be present in the room just outside the studio.
- To ensure that sessions do not run over schedule.
- To help set up the studio and arrange instruments for workshops.
- If participants have not arrived for the start of their session, to inform the Administrator so that they can be contacted.
- To familiarise yourself with Drake Music Scotland’s Safeguarding Policy and Guidelines for good practice.
- To provide feedback about your volunteering experience with us.
Volunteers will need to join the PVG Scheme. This service is free to volunteers and Drake Music Scotland will provide full details.
The times below relate to the Autumn 2011 term but the Spring 2012 term will run on a similar basis. However, we would like volunteers to attend the sessions, week beginning 5th December. This is the last week of term and will allow volunteers to meet key personnel and see how the sessions run.
Mondays 1.30 – 5 pm
Spring dates: 16th January – 26th March (no sessions on 13th February)
Wednesdays 1 – 4.30 pm
Spring dates: 18th January – 28th March (no sessions on 15th February)
Fridays 1 – 6 pm
Spring dates: 20th January – 30th March (no sessions on 17th February)
We are looking to recruit a maximum of 3 volunteers – one for each afternoon of sessions. However if you are interested in volunteering for more than one afternoon please let us know.
Payment of Expenses
We are able to pay travel expenses for Edinburgh-based volunteers, based on mileage of 0.35 ppm or upon receipts provided by public travel operators.
We would like to recruit volunteers with the following skills/commitment:
- A keen interest in promoting accessibility and inclusivity in music education.
- A friendly and approachable manner and the ability to communicate with a wide range of people including participants with disabilities, parents and support workers.
- The ability to act with common sense and initiative, liaising with Drake Music Scotland musicians and core staff as necessary.
- Able to commit to 10 weeks of sessions on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday afternoon for the spring term 2011.
How To Apply
Please submit a letter clearly stating why you are interested in this opportunity and why you would be a suitable volunteer. Please include details of two referees with you letter. If you would also like to submit a CV in support of your application, please do so.
Deadline: Monday 21st November, 5 pm
If you have any further questions or queries please contact:
Bethany Whiteside, Projects Coordinator
0131 659 4766